Letter to Simret for "Simret Day"

I have decided to write each of my children a letter on their adoption day anniversary (inspired by my girlfriend Jen and her daughter Hannah who each wrote Simret a letter on her special day).

My Dearest Simret,

Three years ago today was the first time that I held you in my arms, the first time that I saw your smile, the first time that you touched my face, the first time that I became a mother, the first time that I believed in love at first sight.

You were the most beautiful baby that I had ever seen and I was so scared that I would do something wrong to make you cry or make you not love me. Now I can't imagine my life without you. I can't imagine waking up without you crawling into my bed to snuggle, love on me, and then kick me out while you watch cartoons and request that I make you breakfast and get you some "milky". Yes, the days of sleeping in are over; but I wouldn't trade your morning kisses for sleep ever.

You have grown into a beautiful little girl, both on the inside and out. I am proud to be called your Mother. You have taught me so much in our three year together: you have taught me patience (which we both know I could still work on), to live life to its fullest, to live and love passionately, that family is not defined by genetics but by love, to dance like nobody is watching, to be silly and play, that it is okay to sing loud and off-key - it's more fun that way, that it is fun to run around naked, to try new things even if you don't think you will be any good at them, to get up and try again after you have fallen down, that popcorn and movies have to go together, you have shown me to view life through a more worldly lens, you have taught me tolerance, and lastly you have taught me how to parent and what it feels like to be a mother and for that I will be forever thankful to you.

Today we celebrate the day that our lives collided in Africa three years ago; although it feels like a lifetime ago and yet just like yesterday. I miss my baby Simret; but know that you will always be my babygirl.

I love the person you have become and look forward to our journey through life together.
Cheers to many more adventures.

love always,
Mom

No comments:

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet. The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break."